Saturday, November 6, 2021

Almost AND Altogether

 "Almost AND Altogether" are the words of Paul to King Agrippa.   As I read Acts 26, I was encouraged and convicted once again by Paul's passion for those who do not know Jesus Christ.  His whole life had been consumed by love for the lost.  Jesus snatched him from darkness by His "brighter than the sun" light that caused a whole group of men to fall on the ground.  But only Paul heard the Voice that was to change his whole identity and give him the passion and power to bring that Voice to the darkness of others.

Paul, through the Divine Providence of Almighty God, was brought with many intricate details (Acts 21-26) to this trial before King Agrippa.  The wisdom of God flowed out of Paul's heart as he spoke each time.  And now before this king, Paul spoke truth that cut through darkness.  In Acts 26, Paul has just given his own testimony of Jesus Christ.  When he finished, he asked Agrippa, "King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets?  I know that thou believest."  The king responds to Paul with those famous lines, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian."  And Paul said, "I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds."

I've been going through Spurgeon's Devotional Bible this year.  It was given to me about forty-five years ago after I came to know Jesus as my Savior.  Periodically, I go through this "Bible" as an intro to my morning study of God's Word.  It never ceases to amaze me how "living and active" is God's Word and how it continues to teach me and astonish me.  Spurgeon's Bible uses the 1611 King James version.  And while some may think it too strange a language to read, it's a good translation and provides new insight to scripture that I may have missed reading out of my usual NASB translation.  And I just loved the "almost and altogether" translation of Paul's heart to Agrippa.  Let us learn Paul's passion for the lost from the intricate detail of words from the past.  And we should also be in awe and inspired by our Lord's love for us that must be shared to those who still walk in darkness.  I don't want to be guilty of being ok with those we know that are "almost" persuaded.  Let us run with perseverance, calling on the Spirit of God, to guide us to shout until they are "altogether" Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment