Tuesday, March 17, 2020

School for the World

"The joy of the Lord is my strength."  How easy to say while things are going well!!  In an article on zeal by J. C. Ryle, he describes the Christianity of our day as "lazy, easy, and sleepy".   It's times like this, that reveal our hearts.  We can say all these wonderful truths of God's Word when things are easy, but how is it with us today?

How blessed I've been with phone texts from friends offering encouragement as we spend our days socially isolating.  One from my sister was scripture.  Scripture is always the best encouragement.  And how wonderful to get one encouraging verse that leads you to continue reading the next one, then the next one and on and on until you think "what crisis"?  God is, indeed, on His throne.  He is not surprised.  And we will not die one day earlier or later than our time planned by God.  For me, it's not the dying that concerns me but the living.  I want to live well through the whatever, that I might shine His light in this dark uncertainty.  We've read the history of others who have made it through way worse!

One of her shared scriptures was Isaiah 26:3-4.  It is good, but reading ahead, I loved verses eight and nine.  "Indeed, while following the way of Your judgments, O LORD, we have waited for You eagerly; Your name, even Your memory, is the desire of our souls.  At night my soul longs for you, indeed, my spirit within me seeks You diligently; for when the earth experiences Your judgments, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness."

What a glorious thought!  That the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.  This is, indeed, a trial, a burden, an overwhelming flood of unknown that shakes us up.  But God, in His amazing grace, teaches us in all kinds of ways.  I want to learn.  I don't want to miss out on what I need to learn to better honor and serve Him.  I do not want to be a lazy, easy or sleepy Christian.  I want to serve Him in humble adoration.  And I want to shine Him to those who don't know Him that they will indeed learn righteousness.  The virus that should concern us the most is the sin virus.  And only the righteousness of Christ can heal that sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment